Culture Check: January 2019
A recap of the new year’s opening culture waves.
February 4, 2019 | by Creative Armenia
1. Conan O’Brien’s 30-minute reinvention.
2. A KGB Spy Museum in Manhattan.
3. Aaron Sorkin’s adaption of To Kill a Mockingbird breaking a box office record.
4. Van Gogh’s Sunflowers leaving the wall for restoration.
5. A priceless artwork discovered on the construction site of a new Oscar de la Renta store.
6. The death of acclaimed experimental filmmaker Jonas Mekas.
7. The final round of Oscar nominations.
8. King Tut’s restoration.
9. Using a Da Vinci machine for silk.
10. The Wizard of Oz 80th anniversary release.
11. The Yugoslavian concrete exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.
12. The completion of the Net Art Anthology at the Rhizome.
13. Hamilton debuting in Puerto Rico with Lin Manuel Miranda.
14. A five-day Elvis festival in Australia.
15. The controversy over José Antonio Abella's Statue of Satan in Segovia, Spain.
16. And the announcement of the 2019 Creative Armenia - AGBU Fellows.