Culture Check: September 2018
Fly me to the moon and other possibilities abound in this month's #CultureCheck!
October 1, 2018 | by Creative Armenia
1. Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuaron's "Roma" won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival in September. The award represents the first major festival win for streaming giant Netflix.
2. After 18 years of labor, retired designer Miguel Francisco Macias completed his recreation of the iconic images which inspired him in Italy. He painted them on the ceiling of his local church in Mexico.
3. Hundreds of thousands of spectators turned out to watch Lyon's biannual dance parade. The theme of this year's festivities? Peace.
4. New York-based Armenian painter Tigran Tsitoghdzyan went on display at the Modern Arts Gallery of Istanbul. His unique portraits of women are a blend of the hyper-realistic and the mystical.
5. New York's Metropolitan museum unveiled the first major exhibition to explore the remarkable cultural legacy of the Armenian people. Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan was seen admiring his country's ancient manuscripts and cross-stones.
6. Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa will treat 8 artists to a journey on SpaceX’s Big Falcon Rocket, due for a moon fly-by sometime around 2023. It's all part of a new art project called #dearmoon.